Monday 26 November 2007

No Updates...................

I just literally haven't had five minutes to sit down and do an update. I've been really busy at work since starting my new job on October the 1st (which I'm really enjoying) and home life has been equally hectic. I've a couple of trap results to post for October when I get a moment but have now hung up my lights for the year. Birding highlights have been minimal but found a drake Red Crested Pochard at Thornton Reservoir on October 28th and on Sunday morning I managed to get over to Bagworth Heath (I say managed but it's only about a mile away!!) to see one of three Long Eared Owls that have been present for a few days. Apparently 2 were flushed early on Saturday morning and none were seen on Sunday. During my time there at the weekend I did notice some behaviour from 'keen' photographers that may explain the flushing and subsequent departure. Well, I hope to have the moth records posted soon......

2 comments:

Skev said...

Hello Russ,

Presume you saw the LEO on Saturday? Andy Smith turned up for a look and Dave Wright was just arriving as we left. I can assure you the flushing was entirely innocent and happened well before anyone with cameras turned up. The birds were originally at the very end of the ditch nearest the water and immediately adjacent to the path with a bridge - we just got there before the local dog-walkers. I had another look today but again no sign - plenty of good habitat around for them though so probably still about.

See:

http://skevsblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/leo.html

and

http://drunkbirders.blogspot.com/2007/11/bagworth-heath.html

Russ Malin said...

Sorry Skev, yes it was Saturday. All the days kind of merge into one these days....I'll take your word for it regarding the flushing. Like you say probably still in the area. If you follow the path from the lake up to the Cross Hills Church between Thornton and Bagwroth there's some VERY likely sites there and I may have a look this weekend.