Wednesday 6 February 2008

Aylestone Meadows

A link from Rob Fray's website took me to an Aylestone Meadows blog ran by Mark Andrews. Mark probably won't remember me but he was watching the Meadows at the same time as myself and Chris Hubbard in the 80's. In fact I remember one time being with Mark when the place was alive with a mini fall of Redstarts and Wheatears. That place was, and probably still is mega. Night Heron, Firecrest, Short Eared Owls, Ring Ouzel every year....ahhh happy days. My first house in 2000 was just down the road on Duncan Road but I seldom visited, wish I had. Great website Mark........

2 comments:

rockfowl said...

Nice One Russ!

Those were the days! The memory of that mega fall still drives me on, it's gonna happen again soon I hope. Have seen an owl recently on the meadows in the dense scrub which I suspect was a Long-eared..Haven't confirmed it though...and these days, it's bloody dangerous entering the scrub!

Russ Malin said...

Thanks for that Mark. It's just refreshing that somebody is still giving it plenty of cover. It really is a top place and I must make the effort to get over there. Keep out of the scrub!