Wednesday 23 April 2008

Tales from the Riverbank

An unexpected bonus this afternoon came in the form of a very vocal but very elusive Lesser Whitethroat in the waterside scrub near the Sea Cadets HQ. Only managed a couple of glimpses but a real treat for a bird which has become incredibly difficult to catch up with in recent years. Willow Warblers were plentiful but no Chiffchaffs. Sadly the evidence of the recent oil spillage is still present on the river. Other than that, very little else........

2 comments:

rockfowl said...

Nice one Russ!
Had my first Lesser today along the Meadows/Union, seemed to be stacks of Sylvia moving, Whitethroats and seemingly lots of Blackcap in addition to the regular singers. Next few days could still be good.

M

Skev said...

Lesser Whitethroat is one I am happy/lucky to day is an easy one for me - I've had singing males holding territory annually for the last ten years or so on the scrubby embankment adjacent to my garden. Any day now I expect.