Tuesday 27 May 2008

Stilt Sandpiper

Worthy of mention. A cracking find at Rutland Water this morning. I'm not that big on county listing these days but even I would have been tempted to have a nose. I've seen a couple of Stilt Sandpiper in the UK before and very nice they are too. I'm assuming that this is the first record since the Dorset bird at Brownsea in August 2006 and is this the first Midlands record (excluding Cambs)? Surely it must be? On the subject of county listing I've had various texts/emails ranging from Dave Wright who would only be interested if it was at Thornton (good man), Rob Gill who's hoping it hangs around until tomorrow and a panic text from Chris Hubbard who's in Florida at the mo and not back until the weekend. Watch this space......

8 comments:

The Drunkbirder said...

Blody thing flew off whilst I was stuck in an Aspergers Awareness training day... it was nice to get the Osprey on the drive in though! I used to do that road all the time but now I work in Narborough I use the A6 or the ring road.

Skev said...

Chris Hubbard must be chewing his phone by now - what with the departure of the Stilt Sand only to be replaced by a Marsh Sand!!!

Russ Malin said...

I did send Chris another text about the Marsh.......I bolldy knew it would be you who got the Osprey. Whereabouts exactly John?

Russ Malin said...

Obviously that should read bloody !

davidearlgray said...

Stilt and Marsh Sand OMFL!!

Jenny Ousbey said...

Hi there, my name is Jenny Ousbey and I'm a reporter on the Leicester Mercury. I'm writing up a story about the stilt sandpiper sighting and was wondering if some or all of you could contact me just so I can get a quick quote from the people who have tried to get a glimpse of it. my number here is 0116 222 4272 and anytime before 2pm would be great!

davidearlgray said...

Hi Jenny, my quote would be,"What an amazing day for Leicestershire, two county firsts in the space of a few hours,the Stilt Sandpiper from the USA and the Marsh Sandpiper from Eastern Europe is totally beyond most birders wildest dreams!"
Dave Gray.

The Drunkbirder said...

Hi Russ, the Osprey was over the Loughborough Rd opposite the new Bestway. My guess is that it either headed south or went to the private fishing lake behind McDonalds. Dave's also had one recently at Cosso so there may be a summering bird in the area. Keep your eyes peeled.