Wednesday 23 July 2008

Saddington Reservoir - Breaking News

You heard it here first (unless you saw it on Birdguides) but a bird has been seen at Saddington. I suspect that this is the only bird ever to be seen here since the Purple Heron (although a vague Green Winged Teal is ringing a bell). The bird in question was a Little Egret and I have no idea who works Saddington these days (maybe my old mentor Barry Raine?) but fair play to you for getting the normally bird free zone of Saddington back on the map..............

4 comments:

The Drunkbirder said...

The Green-winged Teal was felt to be a hybrid Common x G-w Teal so that's one bird out of the equation.

Russ Malin said...

Yes, I remember now. Purple Heron it is then.....

The Drunkbirder said...

Stupidly I never went for the Purple Heron and then stupidly had to spend hours around RW recently and not see that one either.
I did go and see the G-w Teal but the bird that ensures Saddington Res is like a dagger in my heart was twitching down for the Manx Shearwater and arriving just as it had disappeared from view heading north. Bastard!

Skev said...

I remember that Manx well - it was a great sight shearing over the water, and an even greater sight seeing it shear away over the fields!
The Purple Heron was also very nice.
I think that is just about the only times I've been to Saddington Res!