Monday 28 July 2008

Trap Result 26/07/08

Another bumper night. 139 moths of 40 species. Plenty of good stuff including three new ones for me although all three are common moths. Dun-bar, Plain Golden Y and Small Blood Vein. Other good moths were 2 Poplar Hawk, Buff Arches and Burnished Brass. Lots and lots of Large Yellow Underwing, Dark Arches and Riband Wave. Dave trumped me again with White Satin and Leopard Moth. Dave also found Little Egret on Friday night which I managed to glimpse on Saturday. A Thornton tick no less.....................

3 comments:

Skev said...

What sort of trap are you running Russ, and when did you last change the bulb/tube?

Russ Malin said...

80W MV and the bulb is in its third season.

Skev said...

You probably need to think about changing the bulb Russ, unless the trap has had very little running. I try to change my garden trap bulb every year (regular running)and the other traps every two to three years depending on how much I've been doing. I only asked because around that time the numbers were very high, and I wondered if your catch was being restrained. Unless of course you leave the trap emptying until later in the morning - at the peak of summer I always find that results when emptying before 06:00 are much better than emptying at say 08:00. A couple of degrees and early birds always reduce the catch otherwise.